BmoreSTEM (version 1.0) is a volunteer-based organization. Workgroups are formed to address a significant need and meet a specific objective. Workgroups include representatives from multiple sectors and are led by two co-chairs, one of who represents the workgroup on the Working Board.
The following initial workgroups will demonstrate what cross-sector collaboration can accomplish as ideas for additional workgroups continue to incubate.
- Need: Students should have equitable access to meaningful STEM learning experiences.
- Objective: Create a citywide registration, ticketing, and transportation system for curriculum-embedded STEM experiences that is user-friendly, centralized, and sustainable.
- Need: Alleviate the shortage of certified teachers in STEM content areas.
- Objective: Create and pilot a framework for increasing the supply of secondary STEM teachers that focuses on recruiting through non-traditional channels.
- Need: BmoreSTEM needs sustainable infrastructure to grow STEM in Baltimore.
- Objective: Develop BmoreSTEM infrastructure and cultivate resources to make it sustainable.
- Need: Students interested in STEM careers need guidance and support to take the next steps into STEM careers.
- Objective: Develop a program to build effective mentoring relationships between City Schools students and employer partners.